Cancer is one of the leading causes of death worldwide. Aside from traditional cancer treatments, there are many alternative natural therapies that patients have found to be efficient and powerful ways to prevent or treat cancer.
One of the most known alternative cancer treatment methods is Gerson diet. It is a nutrition practice that involves a strict diet, supplements, detoxification, and raw juices.
Find out why and how it may be an effective method to treat cancer and various other chronic diseases. Here’s a detailed overview of the Gerson diet.
Dr. Max Gerson was a German-American doctor who developed the Gerson therapy diet.
Dr. Gerson used the therapy for his recurrent migraine headaches. He then introduced it to the public for skin TB (tuberculosis), other degenerative diseases, and later for cancer patients.
The basic notion of Gerson Diet Therapy is that the body can heal itself. The only thing you need to do is restore and rebuild the healing mechanism. A mechanism that has been suppressed by chemicals, pesticides, fungus, heavy metals, etc.
The therapy aims at boosting the entire body’s metabolism to prevent the body from damaging itself and instead initiate self-healing. The Gerson Regimen consists of nutrients (through fruit and vegetable juices), supplements, an organic plant-based diet, and detoxification (through multiple daily coffee enemas).
The Gerson therapy diet has gained popularity as a complementary and alternative type of treatment for different health conditions as well as cancer. People also refer to Gerson therapy diet plan using other names such as Gerson regimen, Gerson diet, or sometimes Gerson method.
Watch this simple breakdown of the Gerson diet protocol:
How Does Gerson Diet Therapy Work?
Gerson’s main assumption is that diseases such as cancer thrive mainly due to metabolism changes at the cellular level. Toxins buildup in the body from toxic substances can overload and weaken the liver, damage the DNA, and allow cancer growth.
The idea of using the Gerson therapy diet is to eliminate toxins: Once you clear yourself of toxins, your damaged liver and cell tissues begin to repair. You then restore a healthy metabolism, a robust immune system, and hence overall body health.
Three Essential Therapeutic components of Gerson Therapy
1. Nutrients: Gerson therapy diet involves fresh organic products which include vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. The food is rich in potassium and low in sodium (salt) and designed to enrich your body with sufficient nutrients.
2. Supplements: The Gerson therapeutic procedure would require supplementation of selected products to restore healthy cells for proper metabolism and strengthen your immunity.
3. Detoxification: A cancer patient’s body is toxic from years of poor nutrition, environmental exposure, and stress. On top of that, going on a raw vegetarian diet- starts breaking down toxic tumor tissue and overloads the body with toxins. Coffee enemas are what have been used to eliminate these toxins.
Gerson Diet Therapy Treatment Plan
Looking to follow the Gerson therapy at home? Gerson therapy uses a strict treatment plan you should follow to the latter.
Here are the main components In a nutshell:
- 1. Fresh Juices – Fresh organic juice–about 13 cups a day of 8 ounces, at an hourly interval. The juices are easy to digest and boost energy and include: Orange juice, Green juice, Apple carrot, Carrot juice
- 2. Vegetarian Meals – Cooked organic food that is easy to digest.
- 3. Supplements – such as potassium, Lugol’s solution (iodine, potassium iodide, water), vitamins (A, B3, and Vitamin C), and flaxseed oil.
- 4. Enzymes – Coenzyme Q10 with B12, pancreatic enzymes, and pepsin.
- 5. Detoxifiers– In the Gerson therapy diet, coffee enema is a major component of detoxification and is used multiple times a day. The coffee enema is not to clean the colon! It is an extra benefit… However, the main goal is to detoxify the liver.
Coffee enemas were largely popularized by Gerson therapy, and nowadays most alternative clinics use coffee enemas as part of their protocol.
What to Avoid while on the Gerson Diet Protocol?
All animal products, MSG, soy products, some vegetables (such as raw spinach and mushrooms), sodium, sweets, condiments, some spices, fats, oils (except flaxseed oil), alcohol, most hygiene products, water, and others.
Science has denied Gerson therapy a chance to stand firm and claim a position in cancer treatment. As you may well know, most medical practitioners do not support alternative or natural treatment. Modern medicine would mostly deal with disease symptoms instead of the cause. Gerson therapy is contrary to this kind of treatment and instead deals directly with the root cause and eliminates the symptoms too.
The goal of Gerson therapy is to initiate your body’s complete self-healing by feeding it a plant-based and nutrient-rich diet. The concentration of Gerson therapy is to boost healthy digestion. With a healthy gut, you can have a robust immune system, and prevent and even reverse different ailments.
Carrot-Apple Juice Ingredients:
- 3-4 large carrots, washed, scrubbed but not peeled, ends and tips removed
- 1 large apple, cored, seeds
Carrot Juice Ingredients:
5-6 large carrots, washed, scrubbed but not peeled, ends and tips removed
Citrus Juice Ingredients
3-4 oranges Or 1-2 grapefruit
Green Juice Ingredients:
- ¼ head (6-7 leaves) Romaine, red or green leaf lettuce
- 2-3 leaves escarole
- 2-3 leaves endive
- 2-3 beet greens, inner leaves
- 7-8 leaves watercress
- 3-4 leaves red cabbage
- ¼ medium green bell pepper
- 1-2 medium leaves Swiss chard, any color
- 1 large apple, cored, seeds removed
1 medium celery root, fibers removed roughly chopped
2-3 medium potatoes (1lb) roughly chopped
1-2 medium yellow onions, roughly chopped
2 small or one large leek, roughly chopped
4-5 tomatoes (1 ½ lb.), roughly chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 medium parsley root (or ¼ bunch of fresh parsley)
1. Place all ingredients in a 5-quart pot.
2. Add purified water to slightly cover vegetables, about 2 quarts.
3. Bring the pot to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to a very low simmer and cook covered for 90-120 minutes, or until all vegetables are soft.
5. Pass through a food mill to remove fibers.
– Change this soup only by using more or less of any of the ingredients listed. Do not add ingredients not listed.
– Alter the amount of purified water added to make a thicker / thinner soup
– Use celery if celery root cannot be found. About 3-4 celery ribs take the place of one bulb.
– If you can’t find leeks, use an additional onion or two.
– Substitute red onion for the yellow onion.